what do I bring to tech editing?
I have been a knitter for 50+ years; a knitting pattern designer for 20+ years; a technical services librarian for 20+ years; and a test knitter for 10+ years. I love order, data, consistency, and precision. I seem to have inherited my mother’s uncanny ability to have typos practically jump off the page at me. I’m also not frightened of crunching numbers (spreadsheets are our friends!). If you want to work with someone who is prompt, detail-focused, responsive, thorough, thoughtful, and, occasionally, witty – let’s talk!
why have your patterns tech edited?
A tech editor is a fresh set of eyes to ensure that your patterns are clear, consistent, accurate, complete, and easy to follow, with no typos or grammatical errors.
You want your customers to enjoy knitting your pattern and I can help you make that happen!
am I accepting new clients?
Yes! Currently, I’m happy to work with patterns for accessories (infant- adult), and simple garments. I’m comfortable with multiple sizes, charts, cables, and simple lace patterns.
what can you expect from me?
- Prompt communication.
- An estimate (once you send me a PDF of the pattern).
- A reasonable turnaround – typically within a week and potentially faster depending on my current schedule.
what will I do for you?
- Full tech edit, including all stages of proofs.
- General numbers check: stitch counts, gauge, etc.
- Suspension of editing and prompt contact if I encounter any major issues in need of resolution before proceeding.
- Style consistency (compared to style sheet if you have one).
- Repeated checks until we both deem that the pattern is correct and ready to publish/test knit.
- A final read-through of the pattern before you publish if you would like.
- Promotion of your pattern on social media, again, if you would like.
what else can I do for you?
- I can create both simple and complex charts, as well as providing corresponding written directions.
- I can help you develop and follow a style sheet for your patterns.
how much does it cost?
- I charge an hourly rate of $25.
- I accept payment via PayPal and I invoice once you’ve accepted the final edited version of your pattern.
latest tech edits?
- Zoe Carter’s Party Bunting Socks
I very much enjoyed working with Kathie on tech editing my pattern. She was careful to agree to timescales, expectations, and payment terms in advance so both parties knew what to expect. Her edits were detailed, clearly expressed, and accurate. She was a pleasure to work with. I would highly recommend Kathie’s services, and look forward to working with her again on my next design.Zoe Carter